Welcome to 3×5 Leadership
Your Foremost Digital Leader Development Resource
ABOUT 3×5 LEADERSHIP
3×5 Leadership is your foremost digital leader development resource so that you can make yourself, your people, and your team or organization better. I believe that by becoming more equipped, educated, and inspired leaders, we can make peoples’ lives and our workplaces better. We must become deliberate leader developers.
In my time as a student of leadership, I define a leader developer as one who acts with an intentional effort to provide others with opportunities to learn, grow, and change within the particular organizational context ultimately preparing others to take on more responsibility and influence; this transcends formal positions or roles, and occurs at every level of an organization. Leader development is an effective, enduring, and universal strategy to improve your organization, both in performance and overall professionalism.
The bottom line is I want to make you the best leader developer you can be. I share highlights from my experiences and education to equip you with behaviors, ways of thinking, and guiding attitudes to become an effective leader developer, impacting individuals and your collective organization or team. Ultimately, I want to help you create a professional organization or team of truly empowered leaders and leader developers, where everyone is committed to a clear, collective vision and is passionate about creating the 2nd and 3rd generation of leaders.
What’s in a Name? Why “3×5 Leadership?”
3×5 index cards are my leader learning tool of choice. Every moment is a learning opportunity and I keep 3×5 cards with me at all times to ensure I can record a lesson, idea, or thought in any moment. While the 3×5 card is a learned habit from my father, using a leader learning tool is universal. Ensure you commit to a simple, preferred tool – a notebook, tablet, or notepad – to continuously learn as a professional and leader.
My name is Josh Bowen and I am passionate about making people and organizations better through leader development.
I am a 10-year Army officer with experience leading and commanding up to the company-level (appx. 130-personnel) and working on planning and support staffs up to brigade level (over 5,000-personnel).
You can learn more about me and my recent work through my Curriculum Vitae.
Schedule Me for Your Next Event or an Organizational Consultation
Let me know how I can help you and/or your organization! I am passionate and practiced in creating deliberately developmental organizations, leadership coaching, visioneering and organizational strategic planning, culture and climate assessments, feedback loops and assessments, reflection, and creating focused leader(ship) development activities.
Contact me to find out more at the CONTACT PAGE!
ABOUT THE RESOURCE – HOW TO USE IT
Leader development occurs daily, not in a day. In that, 3×5 Leadership provides leader development contend in the following ways:
- New blog posts published every 1 to 2 weeks, usually on Mondays.
- #WhiteboardWednesday quotes shared every Wednesday via Linked In, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to inspire regular leadership thought and discussion.
- The 3×5 Leadership Bookshelf, a resource that provides helpful recommendations to improve your reading habits for professional development.
- Resources Page to recommend other quality leader development beyond 3×5 Leadership.
- Regular weekly posts sharing 3×5 Leadership and external content on social media via Linked In, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Support the Community & Submit a Guest Post!
If you are interested in writing a guest post to publish on 3×5 Leadership, please visit the Guidelines for Guest Posts page. I look forward to hearing others’ leader lessons and inspiring them to share their thoughts!
This is my personal blog, sharing my own thoughts only. The opinions I express on this website do not represent those of my employer, the U.S. Army and the United States Military Academy.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Some of the links contained on this site are affiliate links. If you click on an Amazon link and purchase the item, I receive an affiliate commission. This revenue is used to offset personal costs associated with maintaining this website. I only recommend products and services I use and believe will add value to readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Here are some recommended ways to start engaging with 3×5 Leadership’s content:
- Subscribe to the blog. Immediately, you’ll get the 3×5 Leader Development Handbook E-Book in your email, which provides the 10-part leader development series in a convenient, clean PDF. You can use this for your own development and share with your people. You’ll also get weekly blog posts for continued leader development.
- Check out 3×5 Leadership’s most popular posts to see the posts that most resonate with other readers.
- Dig into the blog’s most recent posts to get caught up with relevant and helpful content.
- Get familiar with the 3×5 Leadership Bookshelf, which is a comprehensive leader development reading resource, helping you start or improve your personal reading program for self-development and learning.
- Look at the recommended resources on the blog’s resources page to find other helpful sources of leader development material outside of 3×5 Leadership; resources include other blogs, online journals, podcasts, and more.
- Connect with 3×5 Leadership and me via social media: Linked In, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Share 3×5 Leadership with your people and friends so they too can improve their leader growth journey.