Leaders are learners, and learners are readers.
Welcome to the 3×5 Leadership Bookshelf! This comprehensive resource exists to equip you with the tools to enact a quality personal reading program for your and others’ professional development.
The 3×5 Leadership Reading List
Get book ideas from the 3×5 Leadership reading list! These are the books that have most impacted me in the areas of leader development, military leadership, military history, fiction, and on the human condition. I share these as some options for others to consider as we continue our leader development through professional reading. As I keep reading, the list will certainly keep growing; I encourage you to routinely visit the list for updates.
3×5 Leadership Blog Posts About Developmental Reading
- “Leaders are Readers” series: An eight-part series aimed to inspire and equip you with tools to begin a quality reading program or to improve your current one
- The Junior Officer Reading & Self-Development List: The books, blogs, and other resources that I wish I read when I first commissioned into the military and I believe every new officer can benefit from.
- Self-Development and Preparing for Future War: Recommended books for self-development and preparing for future war (future technology, science fiction, and other relevant non-fiction).
Professional Reading Lists I Recommend for Other Great Ideas
- Chief of Staff of the Army’s 2017 reading list
- Chief of Naval Operations 2017 reading list
- MG Mick Ryan’s 2019 reading list
- USMA Commandant 2019 reading list
- The Military Leader’s reading list
- The Company Leader’s reading list
- DOD Reads website: Robust resource on reading for military professionals. Provides reading lists, blog posts about new books, and other interesting and relevant content relating the reading in the military.
- Future Scenarios and Predictions Reading List: Recommended list by University of North Georgia’s Institute of Leadership and Strategic Studies. Focused on providing the best titles to explore the future of conflict, technology, and military operating environments.
Do you have a professional reading list that you recommend be added to this list? Contact me and let me know!
The 3×5 Leadership Resource List
3×5 Leadership is not a sufficient developmental resource alone. Diversity of platforms, thought, and perspective is important. So, I encourage you to check out the 3×5 Leadership Resources Page to find the other blogs, podcasts, and online journals that I personally engage in and recommend.
Other Helpful Resources
- Read e-books on Kindle
- Listen to audiobooks with an Audible subscription
- Maneuver Center of Excellence libraries: free e-books, magazines, and audiobooks for US Army personnel
- Navy’s library on Overdrive: free e-books and audiobooks for any US military service members and families
- From the Green Notebook’s read of the month program
- BookAuthority: book recommendations from successful business leaders and experts; you can sign up to receive routine book deal emails based on your preferences
- BookBub: recommended book deals for Kindle and Nook based on genre and author preference; you can sign up to receive daily book deal emails based on your preferences