Skip to content

6 Comments

1. virgildwalker
    October 11, 2018 @ 8:24 am

Been thoroughly enjoying this series. I’m starting to write more to be able to capture thoughts and experiences that I find could be useful at work and home, but reflection is something I need to get much better at doing. I feel like I lose a lot of great insight in my mind by not writing it down or sharing it with someone.

• jbowen100
      October 11, 2018 @ 10:21 am

Absolutely vital, Virgil! Thanks for sharing.

2. Rob Hutton
    October 12, 2018 @ 6:34 am

This series is timely as we (my company, Trimetis) are just about to run a study of behalf of the UK MOD exploring alternative structured methods for self-reflection, particularly in support of developing our mental models and action schema that support decision making, assessments and judgments. We’d be happy to share the results and the self-reflection structures with the readership if you are interested. We won’t have data until the summer next year, but hope that we will have a coherent narrative that will at the very least start another conversation about productive ways to think/reflect. We will be referencing your own thoughts on this as part of our background research, so thanks for sharing.

3. Rob Hutton
    October 12, 2018 @ 6:51 am

P.S. to provide something a bit more meaty to the conversation… here is a link to some work by Peter Fadde & Gary Klein which provides a way to structure reflection activities… however their solution requires you to “prime” the learning *before* you do the experience. I think that this might be a critical piece of the learning/development puzzle that is often neglected in conversations about reflection where the focus is always on “after the fact”… http://crashingpatient.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/deliberate-performance-by-Fadde-and-Klein.pdf

• jbowen100
      October 16, 2018 @ 12:51 pm

Rob, thanks for sharing your thoughts and the resource! I always enjoy when we can expand the conversation. Ref your resource, I just listened to a lecture by Dr. Angela Duckworth today at work on all of her research and findings on “grit.” Large part of the presentation was about deliberate practice, which I see in the document. I look forward to checking it out!

• Rob Hutton
        October 17, 2018 @ 4:29 am

indeed… however the Fadde/Klein focus is on deliberate performance as so many people don’t have the ‘luxury’ of lots of time to practice, but are always ‘doing’… so the question is, how do we develop more effectively from our on-the-job experiences during performance as opposed to practice; where arguably we learn about the realities of friction, uncertainty etc and not the sometimes (by necessity) ‘sterile’ environments of practice.